Sunday 21 November 2010

Culture? introducing Stella Latwinski..

..Today I have the honour of introducing Stella Latwinski. Stella has such good lines in her paintings, the figures are just looking wonderfull. The paintings are wonderfully composed and I do think they have this rare quality of beeing both dark and comforting at the same time. Stella has been kind enough to share some toughts about her work and some paintings with the readers of culture?.
So here is you`re daily shot at art with Stella Latwinski:

..looking back..

..if wishes hung on clouds..

..trattello & fig..

..the color of my childhood..

  -Can you tell the readers a little bit about yourself, name, what country you live in, age etc?

My name is Stella Latwinski. I live in a small mountain town in Montana {United States} with my wonderful husband and two entertaining dogs.
 
                                       -What inspired you to start painting?
I've drawn since I could pick up a pencil, but decided to publicly share my work in 2007 with the creation of Unconventional Ida.

In the summer of 2007 I found out that my dog Humbert had cancer and did not have much longer to live.  {I lugged the 120 pound beast with me everywhere, and the idea that he would no longer be by my side nearly broke my heart.}  I decided to pour my whole heart, and all of my sadness into creating each and every one of my characters. I couldn't just sit on the couch and cry. I needed to create something memorable for such a wonderful friend. So I started Unconventional Ida~ my forest fairytale about an orphan girl whose parents were giants, but all she got were their eyes.

For the first two weeks of Unconventional Ida, I was blessed enough to have Humbert with me, under my desk and by my feet, while I worked...

*I treasured every moment*


                                                 -Where do you find inspiration?

I grew up in a tiny town in Pennsylvania that once served as a get-away for wealthy Philadelphians in the late 1800s. I spent my childhood staring at the beautiful old mansions, playing in the forests, and swimming in the lake. Most of the time I was alone, and my imagination flourished. In my mind, the woods surrounding me were filled with magic & the vacant mansions housed ghosts and stories...

So, I would say that a lot of my inspiration comes from my childhood, an the worlds created in my mind.
 
                        -Do you have a favorite artist and if so who and why?
It is so difficult to decide on just one! I have an ongoing list that I keep on my blog {idassketchbook.blogspot.com}. If I had to choose one contemporary artist whose work makes me melt every time I look at it, it would be Brandi Milne.
 
                                   -Where can my readers see you`re work?
Until my website is up and running {coming soon!} the best place to see my work is my blog: idassketchbook.blogspot.com. I update nearly daily, and share with readers my creative process, new works, and the works of others that I adore. I also have three shops where my pieces & goodies can be purchased:

unconventionalida.bigcartel.com
unconventionalida.etsy.com
stellalatwinski.etsy.com
 
Thank you for sharing Stella, we are looking forward to see more from you.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Culture? appreciate you`re toughts.