Sunday 12 December 2010

Culture? introducing Joey Bates...

...Today we are introduced to the great artists named Joey Bates. Joey makes this light and fine pictures, and they do suit a sunday-feature. Joey is telling us some of his toughts about his works, so enjoy it this fine sunday. Here it is, your daily shot at art with Joey Bates:






-Can you tell the readers a little bit about yourself, name, what country you live in, age etc?
Joey Bates, 28, Seattle, Washington, USA

-What inspired you to start being creative?
I can't recall anything in particular that started my creative streak. I'm just another kid that never stopped making things.
I decided to be an artist around the age of five when I first found out that people can make a living doing art.

-Is making art your full time job, if not, what else do you do?
Someday I will be a full time artist. For now I make art and in some of my free time I'm a part time manny- a male nanny.

-Have you gone to art school, if yes where did you go and what did you study?
In 2005 I graduated from Kendall College of Art and Design, a small art school in Michigan. I studied painting, but found myself to be much more of a draughtsman. I will return to oils someday.

-Where do you find inspiration?
All over. I find a lot of my inspiration in the people I know and see. My work often relates to facial expression.  About a year ago I mustered up the courage to ask strangers to sit for me. I really enjoy people and people watching. When not looking at people I'm inspired by the nature around me. The Northwestern region of North America is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Seattle has a number of great parks and true wilderness is only a drive outside of the city.

-Do you have a favorite artist and if so who and why?
I don't know if I have one favorite artist. Lucian Freud, Egon Schiele, Andrew Wyeth, William Kentridge, William Gedney, Roy Lichtenstein, and Keith Haring are at the top of my list…
- Fued's work opened my eyes to portraiture and what it means to make more than a replication of ones image.
-Egon Schiele's line work, energy, and self introspection are so fluid and beautiful.
-I was first introduced to Andrew Wyeth's work at the age of 12, his intimacy with each sitter and space is so apparent in his portraits and landscape. you can see the care that he has taken with his image making and representation of his world.
-William Kentridge's earlier animations blow my mind. He has evolved greatly over his career as all artists should do, he seems to do it with such ease weather it be drawing, animation, or theater.
-I will admit to not being all that into photography, but when it comes to capturing the human experience William Gedney is an unsung hero. He observed and captured the lives of so many in a way that many photographers cannot - he captured his subjects as though the camera was not there.
-Keith Haring's desire to make art everywhere and anywhere and for everyone is the most beautiful aspect of his art for me.

-Where can my readers see your work?
Online you can view my work at my website:  http://www.joeybates.com 
you can view more work and works in progress at http://www.flickr.com/photos/greenbeatle
As with most artwork, it all looks far better in person. I often have shows here in Seattle. I would like to be involved in more  group and international shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Culture? appreciate you`re toughts.