Monday 20 December 2010

Culture? introducing Ulla...

...Today I have the great pleasure of introducing Ulla. Ulla has quickly become one of the most interesting artists around. The work is interesting, new-thinking and well composed. We hope to see lots of work from Ulla in the future,  in the meantime she is telling us some toughts around her work. Here it is, your daily shot of art with the great Ulla:

.."kuuik 4" is part of street style series I did called "God bless the
kings of animals"...

..magaja 2 is from the series of sleepers and it's completely based on
sensations I get somethimes when asleep and objects seem to change
their size...

..st.gertrude" is a drawing from series "patron saints on holidays"
where they do the exact opposite things to what they're doing when "on
duty..

..."The owls are not what they seem" is about birds. And David Lynch, obviously...

..Jah just nii" is about having difficult conversations that won't lead
anywhere
..

> -Can you tell the readers a little bit about yourself, name, what country you live in, age etc?

Hi, I'm Ulla, nice to meet you. I'm an artist and a mother, sometimes
introverted and sometimes not. I like lines and paper and pencils and
when I discover good music and I like how sea looks and smells and
sounds. I've always lived closed to open water and even if I don't go
to sea every day I have to know that I could if i wanted to. I also
like odd shapes and subtle beauty, muted colours and foggy weather.
I live in a town called Tallinn.
> -What inspired you to start being creative?

To be honest, I don't know how to answer that question. I've always
loved to draw and quite a few times it has made it easier for me to
express myself through drawings than my words. Even if I explain
something to someone, I prefer drawing that down for them rather than
going through the verbal explanatory.

> -Is making art your fulltime job, and if not, what else do you do?

I work in a small architectural firm as a designer and model builder
besides drawing. Still, I don't see drawing as a hobby, it's rather a
way of excisting.
> -Have you gone to art school, if yes where did you go and what did you study?

I've studied architecture in University of Applied Sciences in Tallinn
and Product design in Estonian Accademy of Arts. I've also spent a
semester in University of Art and Design in Helsinki, in design
department.
> -Where do you find inspiration?

Mostly, within myself. But also from other artists, and from my loved
ones. Music has also been a great influence in the past, not so much
these days. I do strongly believe in practicing every single day, to
keep your hand and thoughts "warm".

> -Do you have a favorite artist and if so who and why?

Oh I have several. Most artists who do what they do because they
couldn't live otherwise (and I don't mean financially) have earned my
respect because they're sincere in what they do and that shines
through. I don't believe in being an artists because it's hip or cool
and I don't believe in labelling. If I've got to namedrop few then I'd
most probably go for Eduardo Recife, David Fullarton, Simon Evans and
Anke Weckmann.
> -Where can my readers see your work?

Virtually:
at my homepage: www.ullasaar.net,
my flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26147428@N00/
or my facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Ulla-Saar-Illustration/152547008126344

No comments:

Post a Comment

Culture? appreciate you`re toughts.