Monday 31 January 2011

Culture? introducing Amanda Barker..

..On this very first february-day we have with us the great Amanda Barker. Amanda`s work is dark and a bit surreal, just the way we like it. Amanda is telling about her work, and thoughts around it today, so enjoy..
..Here it is, your (almost) daily shot of art with Amanda Barker:





Can you tell the readers a little bit about yourself, name, what country
you live in, age etc?
My name is Amanda Barker. I am 21 years old. I am originally from Florida,
but currently live in Brooklyn, New York.

What inspired you to start being creative?
As a child my older brother would draw pictures of Transformers cartoon
characters on a chalkboard in my house. I remember trying to make my own
versions of his drawings and we would try to outdo each other. Eventually
he went on to do sports, but I stuck with drawing, continued to take art
classes throughout elementary, middle, and high school and eventually got
into painting.

-Is making art your fulltime job, and if not, what else do you do?
I am currently still a student, but I do commission work from time to time.

-Have you gone to art school, if yes where did you go and what did you study?
I am attending Pratt Institute for Painting and will graduate this May.

-Where do you find inspiration?
I find inspiration in every part of my life. People are what inspire me
the most, especially those that are close to me. I love to study human
interactions and relationships, and take what I can from them. For this
reason, I think that film plays a major role in my life, perhaps at times
even more so than painting.

-Do you have a favorite artist and if so who and why?
My favorite artist changes from time to time, but I have currently been
interested in John Currin. I find his paintings to be really astonishing,
especially if you get the chance to see them in person. They are just
amazing. It is the perfect mix of the contemporary world and the type of
classicism that is almost impossible to find outside of the Renaissance.

-Where can my readers see your work?
I am working on getting a website together. For now, you can see my work
at Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amandabarker/

culture? amanda barker!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Culture? appreciate you`re toughts.