Thursday 16 December 2010

Culture? introducing Joti Marra...

..Todays feature is one of my all time favourites; Joti Marra. The work is interesting, well made, fun...the list could go on forever. Joti is telling us a little about her life and work, and it is definitely worth a read. Thank you so much Joti Marra for sharing, Culture? loves your work!
...Here it is, your daily shot at art with the fantastic Joti Marra:


..Deargirl..

..astrangeland..

..aconversation..



..herghosts..

..Laurelbow..

..selfinpink..


..Lacehalo..



..Wolf spark..

Can you tell the readers a little bit about yourself, name, what country you live in, age etc?
My full Name is - Joti Marra. I currently live in Asheville, North Carolina (USA) and I am almost 31 years old!

What inspired you to start being creative?
I grew us in a very creative home and I was always encouraged to make things. I grew up drawing, knitting, dancing, singing... you name it. My mother is an illustrator, my grandmother was an artist and poet, my aunt is a fantastic photographer, my step mother is a folk musician... I guess it's in the genes.

Is making art your fulltime job, and if not, what else do you do?
I am also a buyer, merchandiser, and stylist for a boutique in Asheville, NC. (www.minxasheville.com) And I am in the process of starting a fashion business called Seven Swans.

Have you gone to art school, if yes where did you go and what did you study?
I studied graphic design, and fashion design @ FIT in NYC. I did not, however, graduate. I dropped out... to play in a rock'n roll band.

Where do you find inspiration?
Nature, animals, old forgotten things, the Paris runways, children's books, literature, comic books, Switzerland, my fiancé Tyler Ramsey(an amazing musician and artist), my Silken Windhound Clementine, running, the ocean... So so many places!

Do you have a favorite artist and if so who and why?
Eeek! I have no idea! I am so inspired by the things I see everyday and I have the worlds WORST ability to recall names. I read art magazines like Juxtapoz and Hi Fructose, spend hours in book stores looking through illustrated books and photography, go to museums, troll art blogs online and yet I can't seem to think of a single artist... Wait - Alexander McQueen! I love him. Oh and Ghostpatrol (ghostpatrol.net). I am super inspired by his process and work.

Where can my readers see you`re work?
I am in route to making a better home for myself online. Until that time:
Flickr -
www.flickr.com/photos/forest_creatures/sets/72157600003842901 and www.flickr.com/photos/forest_creatures/sets/72157600003843491
Etsy -
www.etsy.com/shop/forestcreature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Culture? appreciate you`re toughts.