Wednesday 6 April 2011

Culture? introducing Jeannie Phan..

JEANNIE PHAN
..On this fine day culture? is introducing one of my favourite artist, Jeannie Phan. Jeannie has the ability to be surprising in every piece she makes. I love Jeannie`s use of colour, composition and themes, the work is of very high quality. Jeannie is telling us a little bit about herself and her thoughts around her art today, so sit back and enjoy..
..Here it is, your shot of art with Jeannie Phan:

...

...

...

...

...
-Can you tell the readers a little bit about yourself, name, what country you live in, age etc?
I am located in Toronto, Canada. Full name: Jeannie Phan of course and my background is Vietnamese. I am 21, although I don't think age is too relevant to my work.

-What inspired you to start being creative?
I used to watch a lot of cartoons as a kid and drew a lot of inspiration from Japanese animation when was I really young. I loved the crazy fantasy elements these types of shows would conjure up. Currently, my environment and interest in microbiology helps fuse my style.

-Have you gone to art school, if yes where did you go and what did you study?

Ontario College of Art and Design here in Toronto (now known as OCAD University), studying Illustration as a major.

-Where do you find inspiration?

Other illustrators I admire such as Jillian Tamaki and Yuko Shimizu, I love looking at their work, how they use line and the wonderful imagery they come up with. Also mundane thoughts from day to day life can blossom into larger, more complicated ideas for future works.

-Do you have a favorite artist and if so who and why?Mentioned above!


 -Where can my readers see you`re work?
My official website: http://www.jeanniephan.com
I'm also involved in a few social networking sites:
Flickr:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/superphantastic/
Behance:  http://www.behance.net/superphantastic


-Is making art your fulltime job, and if not, what else do you do?
Right now I'm taking a few courses to finish up my bachelors degree, so I am currently doing art on my own and for a few inclass projects, which is fun because there is such a variety between assignments.


2 comments:

  1. These are beautiful, imaginative and intricate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! Thank you for leaving a comment Kristin, you are now in the draft for this months competition. Good luck:)

    ReplyDelete

Culture? appreciate you`re toughts.