Sunday 4 September 2011

Culture? introducing Caryn Drexl..

CARYN DREXL
..Today you can enjoy the fantastic works of Caryn Drexl. Get inside these strange, dark worlds and come back to see what Caryn has to say about it. This is a real sunday treat!..
..Here it is, your shot of art with Caryn Drexl..

..Teatime..


-Can you tell the readers a little bit about yourself, name, what
country you live in, age etc?

I'm Caryn Drexl, about to celebrate my 31st birthday, living [and sweating] in Florida with my girl, our dog Rowan and her cat, Siren. [It's been 12 years and he'll likely never be mine too.] People tend to get a very specific idea of who I am based off my images, and it's usually completely wrong. I'm a relatively light and goofy person, I think I get all my dark and weird stuff out with my camera. Most of my weird stuff, anyways.

..Gush..

-What inspired you to start being creative?
I think it's just always been a part of me, though I do come from a creative family and have always been surrounded by creative people so I'm sure that explains it. Oddly, I've been saying I would be a photographer since I was 9 or so, though why I was making the claim back then, I have no idea. But when I really started getting into photography, in my teens, it was mostly out of boredom and the need for some outlet. It grew from there.

..Remains of the day..

-Is making art your fulltime job, and if not, what else do you do?
It is, though I definitely don't make a lot. I'm lucky enough that I do well selling my images through a stock agency and then selling prints helps as well.

-Have you gone to art school, if yes where did you go and what did
you study?

No art school for me. What I know I figured out myself, or looked up online.

..Emotions kept neatly..

-Where do you find inspiration?
Everywhere and everything. Literally. I've been in a hardware store when inspiration hit. A lot of the time I have no idea where it comes from, but there are times where I intentionally sit down and plan to get my brain going. Usually then I look at old paintings, watch old movies, browse around on flickr or tumblr, etc. I always try my hardest not to copy, but I can't deny some things sort of slither in and stick and then show up, unintentionally later.

..A walk down memory lane..

-Do you have a favorite artist and if so who and why?
I can be super fickle when it comes to what I like. There are definitely people whose work i admire, but it's usually illustrators and painters, and my taste is all over the place. [I'm super jealous of them because they aren't restrained by the laws of gravity, or laws period. =) If they want to set someone's head on fire they can do it with paint and canvas, me, not so much so. And unfortunately I can't draw at all.]
One of my current favorites is Tran Nguyen. http://studentpages.scad.edu/~tnguye25/main.html
I don't think there is anything I DON'T like about her work.

..Along for the ride..
Want to see more of Caryn`s work? Go here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caryndrexl/



culture? Caryn Drexl!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Culture? appreciate you`re toughts.